Sunday, May 27, 2007

Shadow in SB

Yesterday Tijn and I brought Shadow up to SB. We started out with a ~8 kt SW wind and ended with a ~13 W one. We tacked up some and motored some. The motor, by the way, is running really well after its surgery. I also worked a bit on quantifying Shadow's groove, which it turns out is pretty pathetic: about 130 deg under the genoa and 110 under blade. I need to read up on what's appropriate car positioning for yankee cut sails, because my experience suggests it's the opposite from racing jibs: the cars seem to want to move forward the more wind there is.

On the way up Tijn managed to remove the stupid compass mount. I'm going to fill the holes, fill and fare the surface and a coat of paint should make it look like there never was anything there. I'll look around for a replacement compass that I like...

Other chores that I need to take care of: install a solar nightlamp, look for a traveler, make a boom-vang, and change the battery.

No comments: