Thursday, May 10, 2007

Motor and gooseneck fixed!

Today was a good day for Shadow. I went and picked up the repaired outboard from Precision. Total damage: $290, $200 of it in parts.
Then Tad helped me remove the half-eaten bolt from the gooseneck and replace that. I lanocoted everything in that area and reinstalled the boom. The nature of the roller furling mechanism still completely eludes me, but at least I think I know what I need to disassemble to figure it out.
Finally I took the mainsail to Bill Paxson, thinking the point at which the headboard was coming apart from the boltrope was an issue, but Bill thought it wasn't. Instead he used a shackle to move one of the slides higher up, so that it's actually *on* the headboard. He also suggested that I can replace the frayed rope that's holding my slides onto the sail with 1/2 inch nylon webbing, which I can sew closed. I may or may not do that, since the current arrangement seems to be doing ok. The reason to do it would primarily cosmetic, so if I get the boat looking better later in the summer, I might take the time...

No comments: